Title

abc tv and doctor who discussion site 

Forums

Forum Home > Doctor Who on the ABC > Doctor Who Thread #4

Tardis001

Doctor Who Thread #3 will soon be full, but there may be room for a couple more comments on it.  So I thought I'd set up #4 in preparation.

The Doctor can be seen regenerating in the latest trailer

--

May 6, 2017 at 2:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

BROUGHT ACROSS FROM DOCTOR WHO THREAD NO. 3:

Hope the 3D sound works on iView. If so, get your headphones ready!

http://www.techradar.com/news/is-binaural-audio-the-missing-link-for-mobile-v

--

May 6, 2017 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

You can test your headphones on the clips of Knock Knock on the BBC Dr Who website.

I've tried mine, there is a notable difference in sound between the PC's speakers and the headphones.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0521c5g

--

May 6, 2017 at 3:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Knock Knock is another excellent episode ... creepy and scary, with excellent aliens.  I feel itchy just thinking of them. A magniificent performance by David Suchet, with a twist near the end regarding his true identity. You must use the headphones - the 3D sound was great and certainly added to the creepiness and scariness of the episode.

There's more revealed about the vault in the final scene, involving the Doctor more so than Nardole.  It ended with just the same, if not more, intrigue as last week's ending.

Keep the headphones on when the theme music plays at the end. It's a really pleasant musical experience.

4 STARS

--

May 6, 2017 at 9:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Honestly I don't know what to make of Knock Knock, it was scary but a bit silly.

David Suchet did a good job as creepy landlord.

Wearing headphones was a bit distracting for me.

So I'll reserve judgement until the second viewing tonight.    :|

--

May 6, 2017 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Photon at May 6, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Honestly I don't know what to make of Knock Knock, it was scary but a bit silly.

I think this episode was full of clues and red herrings.  Just watched it a 2nd time around and picked up a few of them that I missed the first time.  8)

I think this episode will be analysed and discussed by Whovians for quite some time.

Re the headphones: there was a scene when knocking was coming from many directions. One set of knocking sounded in the left side of my headphones and, for a fleeting second, I genuinely thought it was a member of my family knocking on the door of my study (where I watch Doctor Who online), to the left of where I was sitting.

--

May 6, 2017 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SM
Site Owner
Bit underwhelmed by this one. Following this pattern of this series so far, we have a lot of old ideas rehashed making the episode seem a little ordinary. I didn't find it all that creepy, but the sound was good. The 3D sound effect worked just as well on my tablets stereo speakers as I imagine it would on headphones. Other than that I thought it was a it silly, with some interesting bits. Bill calling The Doctor "Grandfather" seems to be an obvious reference to Susan. And the vault scene at the end......... ??????

6/10 for me.

--

May 7, 2017 at 6:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole
Boring. 5/10 at best.
--

May 7, 2017 at 6:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Photon at May 6, 2017 at 10:16 PM

Knock Knock was a bit more enjoyable the second time without the distraction of headphones.

I'll give it 3 out of 5 Photons:  8)8)8):(:(

--

May 7, 2017 at 6:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MaxHR

Total.load.of.crap.

--

May 7, 2017 at 6:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lisa
Trying work out how post pics on mobile anyone
--
May 7, 2017 at 8:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Looks like I'm the only ABC Whovian who really enjoyed this episode.  Scouring the internet yesterday, it appears the broader Whovian community was equally divided about this one.  I think there are clues in the granddaughter reference, the Doctor's increased appetite for food, and the piano playing (Beethoven's Fur Elise , then  Pop Goes the Weasel) as to what will happen later on in Series 10 and in the Christmas special.

--

May 7, 2017 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahJane4Ever

No need to fret Tardis001 -  you aren't the only member to have enjoyed it. I did as well. Not as much as last weeks but still very enjoyable. David Suchet was very very good in  the role as you would expect from an actor of his calibur.

But to the detractors,  as I keep saying, this is fundamentally a family/childrens show so the writers and directors can only go so far with storylines, effects and concepts. So it will be creepy but if you are expecting full on super realistic gothic horror - it ain't going to happen. IMHO, generally, they are doing an excellent job within the boundaries that the genere demands which is being reflected in the much higher public engagement with the show than last season at this point.

I liked the twist at the end and Bill gave another very solid performance. She is quickly cementing herself as my favourite companion since the reboot.

A very solid 3.5 out of 5 photons from me.:)

p.s on  a personal note, I am very pleased to report that my signed autographed card from the legendary 4th arrived today...it will now sit proudly alongside the one from my nom de plume.

--

May 7, 2017 at 6:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

How do we define 'children' in the Dr Who context ? All of us ?

However it's obviously difficult to please such a wide ranging audience. Little kids would probably have nightmares about being eaten by insects so if you are going to go with an adult 'Gothic' theme in the first place it needs to be carried through. Again Knock knock was a special effects effects episode with a weak plot and a definitely anti climactic ending.

--

May 7, 2017 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Rumpole at May 7, 2017 at 7:26 PM

How do we define 'children' in the Dr Who context ? All of us ?

However it's obviously difficult to please such a wide ranging audience. Little kids would probably have nightmares about being eaten by insects so if you are going to go with an adult 'Gothic' theme in the first place it needs to be carried through. Again Knock knock was a special effects effects episode with a weak plot and a definitely anti climactic ending.

I think over the years, Doctor Who has evolved from a childrens' show to a family show.  That still means that children watch the show, as well as adults.  In Australia, it has a PG rating, which means that children under the age of 12 should be supervised by adults wn watching the show. So I agree with SJ4, that there is a limit on what can be shown on Doctor Who.  Content can't be as graphic as in programs that are shown after 8.30 pm, for instance.

Personally, I did not think this week's episode was a weak plot, though it appears that others disagree.  I also don't think the episode was just about special effects.  As I've mentioned previously, the strength of this episode was in the clues (and perhaps red herrings) about what will be happening in the future. That is, it was setting the stage about what is going to happen.  Far from the ending being anti-climactic, you need to listen more closely to the piano playing and the Doctor's words.  When the penny has dropped, you'll know what I mean.

I also think there were great links to Classic Who - I really enjoyed the grandson of Harry Sullivan being in the episode, among all the other classic links. In Doctor Who lore, Harry Sullivan (grandfather) also encountered Dryads, and caused a rock fall on a climb that further resulted in a friend to fall down the slope - the latter story told by the grandson.

--

May 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Recky

Wow, Poirot is a sociopath with a statue for a mother, didnt see that coming, Knock Knock was once again a pretty good ep....Bill is picking the Doctors brain more and his actually almost answering, I can confirm that my granddaughter left the room when she saw the critters and heard random knocking....as for Whovians , cant say I agree that the alien wood lice are the vilians of the piece...that was more the landlord ....

and apparently only two more weeks till we see whats/who is in the vault

4 /5 photons

--

I'M CONSIDERED AN IDIOT SAVANT (without the pesky savant bit):P

http://beammeupkalel.blogspot.com.au/

May 7, 2017 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahJane4Ever

Agree 100% with you Tardis001 regarding the links with Classic Who. They are coming thick and fast with this series and on that point I suspect that it is not just the result of the Moff's OverLordship but from the genuine desire of the various writers to connect the show with its past. And I think I might have an inkling about the hint dropped by the music coming from the Vault too - which is the Moff's primary input to the episode, I am pretty sure.

Looking forward to next weeks episode already. :)

--

May 7, 2017 at 9:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Entish
Really enjoyed the episode. Great acting from Capaldi, Bill and Poirot. The way monsters were resolved was a bit underwhelming. Where did all the space woodlice go? Will put on the headphones tonight for the second viewing. Look forward the space zombies next week.
--

May 7, 2017 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

A summary of the press reaction to Knock Knock, courtesy of the Doctor Who News website - a mixed bag of responses:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/05/knock-knock-press-reaction.html#.WQ_zxIv668E.email

--

May 8, 2017 at 12:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

Hmmmm..... I'm not sure what to say because I don't want to be too derogatory. I'll just call it a light interlude with some appalling acting beside the brilliance of David Suchet.  Average at best, apart from the intriguing ending at the vault.

--

May 8, 2017 at 2:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.