Forum Home > Doctor Who on the ABC > Doctor Who Thread #4

SonicR
Administrator

Jodie Whittaker is the 13th Doctor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-_bSdWEYK8

July 16, 2017 at 11:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SM
Site Owner
Ive found myself only watching recent Doctor Who out of obligation. No doubt I will give the new lady Doc a go, but I've not liked the general direction of the show lately and I'm not sure I will stay watching. We may need a new female SM
--

July 16, 2017 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001
Let's hope the TARDIS assumes a male identity in sympathy.
--

July 16, 2017 at 4:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

The decision may gain some viewers but will lose others.

Another example of political correctness trumping tradition I'm afraid. I don't know if I'll bother watching.

--

July 16, 2017 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

No its not a PC decision, it is a marketing decision.

I'm OK with Jodie Whitaker as the next Doctor, provided that Chris Chibnall gives her some good scripts to work with.

--

July 16, 2017 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Photon at July 16, 2017 at 5:48 PM

No its not a PC decision, it is a marketing decision.

I'm OK with Jodie Whitaker as the next Doctor, provided that Chris Chibnall gives her some good scripts to work with.

We!!, As I said it will gain some viewers (probably feminists) and lose others. If it gains more than it loses then it's a good decision and vice versa.
--

July 16, 2017 at 5:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

I have great respect for Jodie Whittaker as an actress.  I think I've seen her in all the TV dramas that she has acted in.  In choosing a female Doctor, I'm sure that Jodie is the actress most suited for the role.  But a female Doctor is just a wrong decision.  It is BOTH a marketing decision and political correctness, because being PC is highly marketable these days. It looks like this year's Christmas special will be the last Doctor Who episode I will be seeing for a while.  I have nothing against Jodie Whittaker, its just the end of a 54-year era for me, and I'll be focusing more on the audio plays.

--

July 16, 2017 at 6:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SonicR
Administrator

Will agree with general consensus here that this is a bad move. I was fairly confident that the 13th Doctor would be male right up until yesterday, when Jodie Whittaker stayed at the top of the bookies' list. And from past experience with Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi, the bookies never lie.

It will be interesting to see how Series 11 goes next year - quite frankly, having a female Doctor is likely going to determine the future of NuWho. If Series 11 bombs in the ratings, then I won't be surprised if it's cancelled (or 'rested'), if not given a series overhaul again at the very least, making Jodie another 1-series Doctor. Alternatively, it could go well, and Jodie could be around for a good few years. I really don't envy her...she's got a lot of pressure that won't make her job any easier. She must have huge amounts of courage to be able to take the role, and for that she gets serious respect from me.

Time will tell whether or not I take a few years' break from the show like others here and elsewhere are saying, but currently I'm very tempted to do so.

July 16, 2017 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

I think if you have to make such a drastic break with tradition, that indicates that things aren't going so well with the show. If it isn't broken, why fix it ?

The PC thing is definitely showing, first with Bill and now with the Doctor.

Will the Daleks be wearing dresses in the next Series ?

Will we have a female Muslim companion complete with hijab ? If we do it's all getting a bit silly.

--

July 16, 2017 at 7:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

One last power play from Moffatt, that's how I see it.

--

July 16, 2017 at 7:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MaxHR

Finally. it had to happen. she is not black and a refugee, but that will come later.  :D 

Hopefully the stories will be become more 'believable' .

Might get boring with the female doctor being pregnant, slaving over a hot stove, doing the laundry and taking the kids to school?

I like this woman based on what i saw in Broadchurch.

I'll give her 'enough rope' for the first few eps before my harsh critiques returns. ....:D

--

July 16, 2017 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

SM at July 16, 2017 at 2:49 PM

Ive found myself only watching recent Doctor Who out of obligation. No doubt I will give the new lady Doc a go, but I've not liked the general direction of the show lately and I'm not sure I will stay watching. We may need a new female SM

The way things are going, there may not be a need for a SM, male or female.

--

July 16, 2017 at 7:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SonicR
Administrator

Patch at July 16, 2017 at 7:04 PM

Chris Chibnall made the decision actually, and according to the casting press release, it was always going to be a woman.

Though I did notice that Steven Moffat wrote the first female Doctor (the 13th incarnation, played by Joanna Lumley) in the 1999 spoof The Curse of Fatal Death. Fast forward eighteen years, and the 13th incarnation proper is also female! Made me chuckle a bit!

July 16, 2017 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

SonicR at July 16, 2017 at 6:55 PM

Will agree with general consensus here that this is a bad move. I was fairly confident that the 13th Doctor would be male right up until yesterday, when Jodie Whittaker stayed at the top of the bookies' list. And from past experience with Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi, the bookies never lie.

It will be interesting to see how Series 11 goes next year - quite frankly, having a female Doctor is likely going to determine the future of NuWho. If Series 11 bombs in the ratings, then I won't be surprised if it's cancelled (or 'rested'), if not given a series overhaul again at the very least, making Jodie another 1-series Doctor. Alternatively, it could go well, and Jodie could be around for a good few years. I really don't envy her...she's got a lot of pressure that won't make her job any easier. She must have huge amounts of courage to be able to take the role, and for that she gets serious respect from me.

Time will tell whether or not I take a few years' break from the show like others here and elsewhere are saying, but currently I'm very tempted to do so.

Very well said, SonicR.

--

July 16, 2017 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Meanwhile, here is Steven Moffat commenting on the Christmas special:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a833253/steven-moffat-new-doctor-who-christmas-special/

--

July 16, 2017 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Alex Kingston's reaction to the news about the 13th Doctor:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a833272/alex-kingston-jodie-whittaker-first-female-doctor-new-doctor/

--

July 16, 2017 at 7:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Tardis001 at July 16, 2017 at 7:26 PM

Alex Kingston's reaction to the news about the 13th Doctor:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a833272/alex-kingston-jodie-whittaker-first-female-doctor-new-doctor/

It doesn't really make sense does it ?

If she comes back into the show will she have a lesbian rrelationship with the Doctor or will she regenerate into a man ?

Sheesh ! :roll:

--

July 16, 2017 at 7:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

lightspeed

Chris Chibnall would have made the decision. Moffat may have provided the references in the last few epsiodes as a favour/lead-in for Chibnall.

I also have nothing against Jodie Whittaker and will give her Doctor a chance but I don't want a female Doctor. I guess there may be a lot of new viewers but, if people only watch because of the gender change, it will become a different show.

July 16, 2017 at 7:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SM
Site Owner

SonicR at July 16, 2017 at 7:13 PM

Chris Chibnall made the decision actually, and according to the casting press release, it was always going to be a woman.

Though I did notice that Steven Moffat wrote the first female Doctor (the 13th incarnation, played by Joanna Lumley) in the 1999 spoof The Curse of Fatal Death. Fast forward eighteen years, and the 13th incarnation proper is also female! Made me chuckle a bit!

Sure, it was Chibnall who cast her, but Moffat did all the work setting it up for him
--

July 16, 2017 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahJane4Ever

Well, as someone more famous than me once said;

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

The other night when I watching the Classic 2 at work in The Mind Robbers after watching 1 in the Sensorites, it occured to me that 2 was so different from 1 that anyone who was a fan of 1 would have been devasated to suddenly find themselves having to watch 2 instead. Did some people stop watching - probably - but clearly plenty kept on watching and was joined by new fans who to them 2 was the Doctor not 1. Was this all part of some clever master plan? No - it happened because of pragramtism - 1 was decrepit and had to be replaced. 2 left because he did not want to be typecast the same reason as 9 did, 3 left because the Producer was leaving and 6 was effectively sacked by the BBC. The reason behind each change is to me completely and utterly irrelevant - its the change which is important. It is how the show has always evolved. And so it continues with 13 now being the Doctor instead of 12.

So for me "Big Deal" that 13 is a woman - she is still 13 and that's all that matters to me. I absolutely love Doctor Who and have been watching my favourite show since it was first aired on Hobarts ABC station in the middle of 1965...and I was living in London and watched the first episode when it was rebooted in 2005...and I will continue to watch it until the last show is broadcast and that wont be affected by the gender or even the species of the The Doctor if it came to that.

Without wishing to be too blunt - "Male Timelords are from Gallifrey, female Timelords are from Gallifrey. Deal with it.”  :)

So, bring on the Christmas Special - I truly cant wait to see my favourite show back on air again!!

--

July 16, 2017 at 8:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.