Forums

Forum Home > Doctor Who on the ABC > Doctor Who Thread #4

Photon

SJ4 has raised a good point about The Monks and their powers.

Maybe their power is Hypnotic.

Perhaps this whole scenario is an illusion created in the minds of the Monks.

That would more easily explain them transporting a nuclear submarine over thousands of miles of dry land.

Maybe they are a group of Rogue Time Lords, the return of The Master a villain well known for using hypnotism lends weight to this theory.

What do you think?

--

May 28, 2017 at 11:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SM
Site Owner
The Timelirds aren't supposed to meddle in others affairs are they? That would explain why they needed consent. But it doesn't explain why they needed to do a simulation of earth. The Timelords could just use time travel to see how events would play out
--

May 29, 2017 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SM
Site Owner
It seems some of our regular commenters have gone missing. Was their consent not pure?
--

May 29, 2017 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

I recorded it and will watch it later. I listened to it though and it sounded interesting.

--

May 29, 2017 at 1:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Entish
Could they still be in the simulation?
--

May 29, 2017 at 1:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahJane4Ever

I think you might be onto something there Photon - the Monks are very mystical  so mind control could explain a few things.

I am afraid that having watched more and more of the Classics - the Tenth Planet being the last - I do appreciate a solid story line which has some smattering of common sense and logic to it.

And is it just me or did the Doctor working out exactly the cause of the End of the World in, what three lines, seemed just a tad convenient in terms of wrapping up the story line so quickly as the episode hurtled towards its conclusion...I mean GM bugs getting loose - a bit pedestrian really.

Now wouldn't it have been far more fun if the real threat was an imminent alien invasion by a previously unknown race of beings which had been homing in on a long running SETI transmission caused by well meaning scientists with the Earth potentially in the cross hairs of the battle betwen the Monks and the other alien race. Now that would have been a real twist!! :)

--

May 29, 2017 at 2:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SM
Site Owner

SarahJane4Ever at May 29, 2017 at 2:28 AM

I think you might be onto something there Photon - the Monks are very mystical  so mind control could explain a few things.

I am afraid that having watched more and more of the Classics - the Tenth Planet being the last - I do appreciate a solid story line which has some smattering of common sense and logic to it.

And is it just me or did the Doctor working out exactly the cause of the End of the World in, what three lines, seemed just a tad convenient in terms of wrapping up the story line so quickly as the episode hurtled towards its conclusion...I mean GM bugs getting loose - a bit pedestrian really.

Now wouldn't it have been far more fun if the real threat was an imminent alien invasion by a previously unknown race of beings which had been homing in on a long running SETI transmission caused by well meaning scientists with the Earth potentially in the cross hairs of the battle betwen the Monks and the other alien race. Now that would have been a real twist!! :)

I quite liked the GM bug end of the world scenario, but you are right- The Doctor working it out was a bit unrealistic, however clever he is.
--

May 29, 2017 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

SarahJane4Ever at May 29, 2017 at 2:28 AM

Hello SJ4.

I like your idea about aliens homing in on SETI transmissions reminds me of something that Stephen Hawking wrote a while back.

Great minds think alike!  8)

Bring on the Intergalactic Battle.  

--

May 29, 2017 at 3:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.