|Posted by SonicR on December 19, 2018 at 7:40 AM||comments (2)|
The votes have been tallied, and the results are in for the Series 11 ABC Whovians Awards!
1. Demons of the Punjab
2. It Takes You Away
4. The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
6. The Woman Who Fell to Earth
7. The Ghost Monument
8. The Witchfinders
9. The Tsuranga Conundrum
10. Arachnids in the UK
1. Vinay Patel (Demons of the Punjab)
2. Ed Hime (It Takes You Away)
3. Malorie Blackman (Rosa)
4. Pete McTighe (Kerblam!)
5. Chris Chibnall (The Woman Who Fell to Earth; The Ghost Monument; Rosa; Arachnids in the UK; The Tsuranga Conundrum; The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos)
6. Joy Wilkinson (The Witchfinders)
1. Jamie Childs (The Woman Who Fell to Earth; Demons of the Punjab; It Takes You Away; The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos) / Jennifer Perrott (The Tsuranga Conundrum; Kerblam!)
2. Mark Tonderai (The Ghost Monument; Rosa) / Sallie Aprahamian (Arachnids in the UK; The Witchfinders)
Best Recurring Cast Member
1. Bradley Walsh
2. Jodie Whittaker
3. Mandip Gill
4. Tosin Cole
5. Sharon D. Clarke
Best Guest Actress
1. Susan Lynch (Angstrom; The Ghost Monument)
2. Vinette Robinson (Rosa Parks; Rosa)
3. Tanya Fear (Dr Jade McIntyre; Arachnids in the UK)
4. Julie Hesmondhalgh (Judy Maddox; Kerblam!)
5. Phyllis Logan (Andinio; The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos)
6. Shaheen Khan (Hasna; Demons of the Punjab)
7. Lois Chimimba (Mabli; The Tsuranga Conundrum)
8. Claudia Jessie (Kira Arlo; Kerblam!)
9. Siobhan Finneran (Becka Savage; The Witchfinders)
10. Amita Suman (Umbreen; Demons of the Punjab)
11. Shobna Gulati (Najia Khan; Arachnids in the UK)
12. Tilly Steele (Willa Twiston; The Witchfinders)
13. Suzanne Packer (Eve Cicero; The Tsuranga Conundrum)
14. Eleanor Wallwork (Hanne; It Takes You Away)
15. Lisa Stokke (Trine; It Takes You Away)
Best Guest Actor
1. Alan Cumming (King James; The Witchfinders) / Percelle Ascott (Delph; The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos)
2. Lee Mack (Dan Cooper; Kerblam!)
3. Callum Dixon (Jarva Slade; Kerblam!)
4. Mark Addy (Paltraki; The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos)
5. Chris Noth (Robertson; Arachnids in the UK)
6. Hamza Jeetooa (Manish; Demons of the Punjab)
7. Shane Zaza (Prem; Demons of the Punjab)
8. Samuel Oatley (T'zim-Sha; The Woman Who Fell to Earth/The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos)
9. Leo Flanagan (Charlie Duffy; Kerblam!)
10. Art Malik (Ilin; The Ghost Monument)
11. Kevin Eldon (Ribbons; It Takes You Away)
12. Brett Goldstein (Astos; The Tsuranga Conundrum)
13. Jonny Dixon (Karl; The Woman Who Fell to Earth)
14. Ben Bailey-Smith (Durkas Cicero; The Tsuranga Conundrum)
15. Shaun Dooley (Epzo; The Ghost Monument)
16. Amit Shah (Rahul; The Woman Who Fell to Earth)
17. Joshua Bowman (Krasko; Rosa)
18. Trevor White (James Blake; Rosa)
19. Christian Rubeck (Erik; It Takes You Away)
20. David Shields (Ronan; The Tsuranga Conundrum)
21. Jack Shalloo (Yoss; The Tsuranga Conundrum)
1. Becka Savage (The Witchfinders)
2. Charlie Duffy (Kerblam!)
3. Manish (Demons of the Punjab)
4. The Solitract (It Takes You Away)
5. T'zim-Sha (The Woman Who Fell to Earth; The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos)
6. Krasko (Rosa)
7. Robertson (Arachnids in the UK)
1. The Morax (The Witchfinders)
2. Sniper Bots (The Ghost Monument; The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos)
3. Thijarians (Demons of the Punjab)
4. Gathering Coil (The Woman Who Fell to Earth)
5. Remnants (The Ghost Monument)
6. The P'Ting (The Tsuranga Conundrum)
7. Giant Spiders (Arachnids in the UK)
And there we have it for another year! Were the results what you expected? Did they surprise you? Share your thoughts below!
|Posted by SonicR on December 10, 2015 at 3:30 AM||comments (4)|
The votes have been tallied, and the results for the ABC Whovians Awards are as follows:
1. Heaven Sent
2. Face the Raven
3. The Magician's Apprentice
4. The Witch's Familiar
5. Hell Bent
6. The Zygon Inversion
7. The Girl Who Died
8. Under the Lake
9. The Zygon Invasion
10. The Woman Who Lived
11. Before the Flood
12. Sleep No More
1. Steven Moffat (The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar; The Girl Who Died; The Zygon Inversion; Heaven Sent/Hell Bent)
2. Sarah Dollard (Face the Raven)
3. Peter Harness (The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion)
4. Toby Whithouse (Under the Lake/Before the Flood)
5. Jamie Mathieson (The Girl Who Died)
6. Catherine Tregenna (The Woman Who Lived)
7. Mark Gatiss (Sleep No More)
1. Rachel Talalay (Heaven Sent/Hell Bent)
2. Hettie McDonald (The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar)
3. Daniel Nettheim (The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion)
4. Justin Molotnikov (Sleep No More; Face the Raven)
5. Daniel O'Hara (Under the Lake/Before the Flood)
6. Ed Bazalgette (The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived)
Best Recurring Cast Member
1. Peter Capaldi (the Doctor)
2. Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald)
3. Maisie Williams (Ashildr)
4. Jemma Redgrave (Kate Stewart)
5. Clare Higgins (Ohila of the Sisterhood of Karn)
Best Guest Actress
1. Michelle Gomez (Missy)
2. Ingrid Oliver (Osgood)
3. Sophie Stone (Cass; Under the Lake/Before the Flood)
4. Morven Christie (O'Donnell; Under the Lake/Before the Flood)
5. Jaye Griffiths (Jac; The Magician's Apprentice & The Zygon Invasion)
6. T'nia Miller (Female General; Hell Bent)
7. Bethany Black (474; Sleep No More)
8. Letitia Wright (Anahson; Face the Raven)
9. Kelly Hunter (Shadow Architect; The Magician's Apprentice)
10. Elaine Tan (Nagata; Sleep No More)
11. Gretchen Elgolf (Sheriff Zygon; The Zygon Invasion)
12. Rebecca Front (Colonel Walsh; The Zygon Invasion)
Best Guest Actor
1. Julian Bleach (Davros; The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar)
2. Joey Price (Young Davros; The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar)
3. Rufus Hound (Sam Swift; The Woman Who Lived)
4. Daniel Hoffman-Gill (Bors; The Magician's Apprentice)
5. Jamie Reid-Quarrell (Colony Sarff; The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar)
6. Nicholas Asbury (Fearful Zygon; The Zygon Inversion)
7. Reece Shearsmith (Rassmussen; Sleep No More)
8. Ken Bones (The General; Hell Bent)
9. Joivan Wade (Rigsy; Face the Raven)
10. Peter Serafinowicz (The Fisher King; Before the Flood)
11. Arsher Ali (Bennett; Before the Flood)
12. Donald Sumpter (Rassilon; Hell Bent)
13. Zaqi Ismail (Lunn; Under the Lake/Before the Flood)
14. Ariyon Bakare (Leandro; The Woman Who Lived)
15. Paul Kaye (Prentis; Before the Flood)
16. David Schofield (Odin; The Girl Who Died)
17. Neet Mohan (Chopra; Sleep No More)
18. Steven Robertson (Pritchard; Under the Lake/Before the Flood)
19. Simon Day (Rump; Face the Raven)
20. Simon Manyonda (Kabel; Face the Raven)
21. Colin McFarlane (Morgan; Under the Lake/Before the Flood)
2. Missy/The Master
3. Bonnie the Zygon
1. The Veil
2. Quantum Shade (The Raven)
3. Colony Sarff
7. The Fisher King
8. Cloister Wraiths
9. The Mire
10. Sentient Sleep Dust
What do you think of the results? Do you agree or disagree? Let us know in the comments below!
|Posted by SonicR on December 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM||comments (2)|
After a couple of weeks of voting, it's time to announce the results of the ABC Whovians Awards for Doctor Who Series 8! So, with no further ado, the results are as follows:
2. Mummy on the Orient Express
3. Time Heist
4. Deep Breath
6. Into the Dalek
7. Dark Water/Death in Heaven
8. Robot of Sherwood
9. The Caretaker
10. Kill the Moon
11. In the Forest of the Night
1. Steven Moffat (Deep Breath, Into the Dalek, Listen, Time Heist, The Caretaker, Dark Water/Death in Heaven)
2. Jamie Mathieson (Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline)
3. Stephen Thompson (Time Heist)
4. Phil Ford (Into the Dalek)
5. Mark Gatiss (Robot of Sherwood)
6. Gareth Roberts (The Caretaker)
7. Peter Harness (Kill the Moon)
8. Frank Cottrell Boyce (In the Forest of the Night)
1. Douglas Mackinnon (Listen, Time Heist, Flatline)
2. Ben Wheatley (Deep Breath, Into the the Dalek)
3. Paul Wilmshurst (Kill the Moon, Mummy on the Orient Express)
4. Rachel Talalay (Dark Water/Death in Heaven)
5. Paul Murphy (Robot of Sherwood, The Caretaker)
6. Sheree Folkson (In the Forest of the Night)
Best Recurring Cast Member
1. Peter Capaldi (the Doctor)
2. Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald)
3. Michelle Gomez (Missy/the Master)
4. Samuel Anderson (Danny Pink)
5. Ellis George (Courtney Woods)
Best Guest Actress
1. Neve McIntosh (Madame Vastra) & Ingrid Oliver (Osgood)
2. Keeley Hawes (Ms Delphox/Madam Karabraxos)
3. Catrin Stewart (Jenny Flint)
4. Zawe Ashton (Journey Blue)
5. Jemma Redgrave (Kate Stewart)
6. Pippa Bennett-Warner (Saibra)
7. Abigail Eames (Maebh Arden)
8. Laura Dos Santos (Gretchen Carlisle)
9. Hermione Norris (Lundvik)
10. Daisy Beaumont (Maisie)
11. Harley Bird (Ruby)
Best Guest Actor
1. Peter Ferdinando (Half-Faced Man)
2. Frank Skinner (Perkins)
3. Ben Miller (Sheriff of Nottingham)
4. Dan Starkey (Commander Strax)
5. Tom Riley (Robin Hood)
6. Chris Addison (Seb)
7. Jonathon Bailey (Psi)
8. Michael Smiley (Morgan Blue)
9. Nigel Betts (Mr Armitage)
10. David Bamber (Captain Quell)
11. Christopher Villiers (Professor Moorhouse)
12. Christopher Fairbank (Fenton)
13. Joivan Wade (Rigsy)
14. Ashley Foster (Bradley)
15. Jaydon Harris-Wallace (Samson)
1. Missy/the Master
2. The Half-Faced Man
3. Ms Delphox
4. The Sheriff of Nottingham
1. The Teller & The Mummy
2. Possible Unseen Entity from Listen
4. The Boneless (2D creatures)
5. Clockwork Robots
7. Robot Knights & Spider Bacteria
8. Skovox Blitzer
What do you think of the results? Were they what you expected, or were there a few surprises? Let us know in the comments below!
|Posted by sm on November 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM||comments (6)|
Over the last week we have asked you to vote for your favourite incarnations of the Doctor in our "Australia's Favourite Doctor" poll. Some found the process of ranking the different actors playing the Doctor easy, while others (including myself) felt it was like ranking their children from favourite to least favourite.
But now the votes are in and we can now announce that the winner, by a healthy margin, is: David Tennant.
The full list in order is:
1 David Tennant
2 Tom Baker
3 Peter Capaldi
4 Matt Smith
5 Christopher Eccleston
6 Jon Pertwee
7 Peter Davison
8 William Hartnell
9 Patrick Troughton
10 John Hurt
11 Paul McGann
12 Sylvester McCoy
13 Colin Baker
David Tennant and Matt Smith both had the same number of first place rankings, but more people placed Tennant in the 2nd to 4th positons than Smith. Interstingly they both scored the same number of voters plcing them in the bottom 4 positons. Only Patrick Troughton and Sylvester McCoy not being ranked as anybody's favourite Doctor, but both had some voters rating them as their 2nd Favourite.
All in all, I believe it shows that Doctor Who appeals to a broad range of Australians, with so many different opinions on what (or who) makes a good Doctor.
Thank you to all who voted and stay tuned for our Series 8 Favourite episodes, actors/ actresses, writers, etc poll COMING SOON!
Detailed report from the poll is included below, including the formula used to calculate placings:
|Posted by SonicR on November 14, 2014 at 10:30 PM||comments (6)|
With the conclusion of Series 8 of Doctor, it's time for the 3rd Annual ABC Whovians Awards!
The Awards consist of 8 questions asking you to rank the stories/writers/directors, etc of the series from best to worst. To enter, click on the link below:
Voting will be open until the end of the month, with the results being announced on December 1.
|Posted by sm on August 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM||comments (13)|
ABC WHOVIANS has regenerated!
Welcome to the new look ABC WHOVIANS!
Here are some of the main changes:
- New Logo. After over 18 months we have retired the former logo for a fresh new one
- Light Background. After consultation with the membership earlier this year we have decided to switch the site to a light background with dark text. Many will find this much easier to read than previously.
- No Sidebar. This makes the site look less cluttered and easier to view on mobile devices. Items previously found in the side bar can now be found in the site footer.
- Simplified Navigation Bar. Many pages previously located in the navigation bar are now grouped together under a main heading in the top navigation bar. For example the "Members" page and "Who are We?" page are now in a sub menu below the "About Us" heading.
- Facebook. ABC WHOVIANS now has a facebook page. If you're on Facebook, give us a like! Visit our page here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ABC-Whovians/283865171793285?fref=ts
- Administration. The site is now served by three Admins- Patch, SonicR and myself (SM). Please contact any of us if you need assistance.
While i have spent considerable time in trying to make sure the new look site was complete before publishing, there will no doubt be some teething problems. If you experience any problems please let me know by emailing me via my profile page or by posting a message on our Facebook page.
While the default colour of text in the forums will change to suit the new light background, where a member has manually changed the colour of their text in a post it will remain that colour. This may make it difficult to view some older forum posts.
I hope you like the new site, and enjoy the return of Doctor Who tomorrow night!
|Posted by sm on December 4, 2013 at 4:35 AM||comments (2)|
As you might be aware part of the prize for the recent "Who is the SM?" competition was a 2014 ABC WHOVIANS calendar. The calendar features my dodgy photoshopping attempts to place different incarnations of the Doctor into pictures of various towns around Australia, (many of which are the hometowns of ABC WHOVIANS members).
You can view the pictures from the calendar here
I have a few extra copies of the calendar (professionally printed by snapfish) and I can post these out to anyone who is interested for $20 (within Australia.) Just send me an email via my profile page
|Posted by sm on November 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM||comments (19)|
When I first started this website, as many of you know, the ABC had recently announced it was closing it’s popular “Have Your Say” general message boards. A number of members had offered alternative ways for members to keep in contact, and contribute as they had on the ABC site. On the 15th March 2012, late at night- the day before the ABC message board was due to close- someone known as “mysteryposter” posted a message in the Doctor Who thread advertising a new such alternative website called ABC Whovians.
I am that person known as mysteryposter, and I have since become better known by the name Site Manager or simply SM. But it’s my other name- the name I was most known by on HYS- that I have kept a secret now for over a year and a half. It is that name that today I will reveal, as promised, on the 50th anniversary of my favourite TV show- Doctor Who.
My true identity will not come as a great surprise to some of you. Chookie Jackson first claimed she believed it was me in Patch’s Doctor Who Yahoo forum. SonicR worked it out in the first week as well. Tardis001 had me on his shortlist of candidates, and more recently Rumpole cracked the anagram that contains my name on the “Name of the S.M.” clue page. So after 20 months of hiding, I reluctantly take off my mask and reveal it is I, Ducktr Who, who created this website.
I originally was going to remain anonymous, but due to Tardis001’s constant probing, I decided to have a bit of fun with it. It was for this reason that I started putting all the cryptic clues up on the website. The solutions to these puzzles will be on the “Name of the SM” page shortly, if not already.
When I first said that I’d reveal myself on the 23rd November 2013 I didn’t actually think the website would still be active, but today visitor numbers to the site are just as high as they were in our first week. So thank you everyone for hanging around. I’ve had a blast, and hope that I can keep doing it for a bit longer yet.
Thank you, too, to our Moderators- Grey, Patch and Sonic for looking after the site when I can’t, and a second thanks to Sonic for his many Doctor Who blogs that have kept us all up to date in the world of Doctor Who.
Thanks, also, to all the regular contributors and readers of the forums. And, most of all a big thank you to my beautiful wife, (who is also an ABC Whovians member- Urban). She has put up with me spending all kinds of crazy hours on the site without complaining (even when I was hurrying to update the site before taking her to the hospital to give birth!). Without her support I could never have kept this site going.
Congratulations to Rumpole for solving the “Who is the SM?” mystery, but as he didn’t enter the competition (probably because he didn’t like the prize!) he doesn’t win the prize. (Although, if you email me, Rumpole, with your name and address I’ll send you a calendar and pen).
In any case the winner of the “Who is the S.M.?” competition is Lightspeed, who not only identified me correctly, but had a fair bit of evidence to back it up. Congratulations Lightspeed, you win the ABC WHOVIANS prize pack- including a bronze police box pendant, ABC WHOVIANS calendar and pen! Another prize pack goes to Sonic, who was the first person to tell me he knew who I was, and has helped me to keep the secret ever since.
Now, here’s the answers to the competition questions:
What is your ABC WHOVIANS username? I think most people got this one right
By what name was the Site Manager mostly known on the ABC HYS site? DucktrWho
What other name (besides Mystery Poster) did the SM use on HYS before settling on his more well known name? This one’s a bit obscure- but I originally registered the name “arentweall” which was a quote from River Song in the Time of Angels/ Flesh and Stone double Dr Who episode. I later changed the name of this registration to “mysteryposter”
Has the Site Manager maintained a separate identity on ABC WHOVIANS?
Yes- ducktr who?
Which HYS and ABC WHOVIANS member was first to correctly speculate on the SM's identity? Chookie Jackson- although not here- in the Yahoo Group started by Patch.
Which ABC WHOVIANS member was first to privately inform the SM they knew his identity? SonicR. He saw the name “ducktr who” on an email I sent him.
Can you explain the meaning of any of the cryptic clues found on the "Name of the SM" page? Goto: http://www.abcwhovians.com/nameofthesm.htm for all the answers.
What other evidence do you think points to the identity of the SM? Lightspeed noted similar posting styles between SM and ducktr who, as well as the fact that ducktr who had said he loved anagrams.
So that’s it! Mystery solved!
But there’s just one more thing- Please keep calling me SM!
|Posted by sm on November 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM||comments (5)|
The competition 20 months in the making is almost finally here!
To mark the 20 month anniversary of the start of this very website (and the demise of the former ABC HYS site), ABC WHOVIANS will be running a competition to see who can correctly identify the identity of me- the Site Manager. The competiton opens on the date of our 20 month anniversary- the 16th November 2013, and the winner will be announced, along with the big reveal on Saturday 23rd November- as part of the Doctor Who 50th anniversary celebrations.
Burt until then here's a collage of memories form the final days of the Doctor Who thread on ABC's Have Your Say site:
|Posted by SonicR on June 10, 2013 at 3:50 AM||comments (1)|
The results for the Doctor Who Series 7 Part 2 Awards are in!
Results are ranked from best to worst.
1) The Name of the Doctor
3) The Bells of Saint John
4) The Crimson Horror
5) Nightmare in Silver
6) Cold War
7) Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS
8 )The Rings of Akhaten
1) Steven Moffat (The Bells of Saint John, The Name of the Doctor)
2) Mark Gatiss (Cold War, The Crimson Horror)
3) Neil Cross (The Rings of Akhaten, Hide)
4) Neil Gaiman (Nightmare in Silver)
5) Stephen Thompson (Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS)
1) Colm McCarthy (The Bells of Saint John)
2) Saul Metzstein (The Crimson Horror, The Name of the Doctor)
3) Stephen Woolfenden (Nightmare in Silver)
4) Jamie Payne (Hide)
5) Douglas Mackinnon (Cold War)
6) Farren Blackburn (The Rings of Akhaten)
7) Mat King (Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS)
Best Recurring Cast Member:
1) Matt Smith (the Doctor)
2) Jenna-Louise Coleman (Clara Oswald)
3) Dan Starkey (Commander Strax)
4) Catrin Stewart (Jenny Flint)
5) Neve McIntosh (Madame Vastra)
1) Walter Simeon/The Great Intelligence
2) Miss Kizlet
3) Winifred Gillyflower
4) The Van Baalen Brothers
1) Ice Warriors
4) The Crooked Man
5) The Mummy
7) Mr Sweet
8 ) Time Zombies
9) Old God
Best Guest Actress:
1) Jessica Raine (Emma Grayling)
2) Alex Kingston (River Song)
3) Diana Rigg (Winifred Gillyflower)
4) Rachael Stirling (Ada Gillyflower)
5) Celia Imrie (Miss Kizlet)
6) Emilia Jones (Merry Galel)
7) Kemi-Bo Jacobs (Hila Tacorien)
8 ) Tazmin Outhwaite (Alice Ferrin)
9) Eve De Leon Allen (Angie Maitland)
Best Guest Actor:
1) Liam Cunningham (Captain Zhukov)
2) Dougray Scott (Alec Palmer)
3) David Warner (Professor Grisenko)
4) John Hurt (A previously unknown incarnation of the Doctor)
5) Warwick Davis (Porridge)
6) Ashley Walters (Gregor Van Baalen)
7) Mark Oliver (Bram Van Baalen)
8 ) Jahvel Hall (Tricky Van Baalen)
9) Kassius Carey Johnson (Artie Maitland)
What do you think of the results? Do they accurately reflect your opinion of Doctor Who Series 7 Part 2? Comment below to let me and others know!