Forums

Forum Home > ABC TV & General Discussion > Kulture Korner: Non-Whovian exhibitions worth looking at.

Photon

Today I visited the Art Gallery of NSW to check out Afghanistan:Hidden Treasures.

Which features items from the National Museum, Kabul.

This collection of art works and jewellery dating from the Bronze Age and the days of Alexander The Great is astonishing.

The fact that there is an exhibition at all is almost as remarkable. For years, these were among artefacts thought lost or destroyed in the turmoil that followed the Soviet invasion in 1979 and the rise of the Taliban in 1996.

In 2003 they were uncovered from vaults in the central bank of the presidential palace, where they had been hidden at great personal risk by a few brave staff from the National Museum, Kabul.

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/exhibitions/afghanistan/

So there you go folks: Amazing works of art, with an intriguing history and only $10 entry fee.

Get your butt over there ASAP !  8)

So what's happening in your corner of the world ?   Post some info at Kulture Korner.

--

March 9, 2014 at 4:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gusset

You have the place to yourself just now Photon.

I have heard about these treasures before but didn't realise they were here.  I'd love to see them but I could only drive there, and the city traffic is such a nightmare and parking so expensive if not impossible to find, regrettably  I must forgo that pleasure.          Glad you enjoyed your visit.

March 9, 2014 at 6:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

gusset at March 9, 2014 at 6:22 AM

You have the place to yourself just now Photon.

I have heard about these treasures before but didn't realise they were here.  I'd love to see them but I could only drive there, and the city traffic is such a nightmare and parking so expensive if not impossible to find, regrettably  I must forgo that pleasure.          Glad you enjoyed your visit.

You can take the train to Museum station Gusset, its a 10 to 15 minute walk to the gallery.

--

March 9, 2014 at 6:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gusset

I do realise that Photon but I could not travel that way and I could not walk as far as the museum.  I am breathless walking 30 paces and it just gets worse if I persist until I have to stop.  I use a small scooter to get around the shopping centre so that I can visit more than 1 shop.

I have never had a cigarette near my mouth, I don't have emphysema.  My doctors can find no explanation for it  so I just have to live with it.

March 10, 2014 at 7:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Entish
Is the exhibition travelling down to Melbourne?
--

March 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Entish at March 10, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Is the exhibition travelling down to Melbourne?

I don't know Entish.  :|

I suggest that you call or email the Art Gallery of NSW.

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/about-us/contact-the-gallery/

--

March 13, 2014 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.