Click here to edit title

abc tv and doctor who discussion site 

Forums

Forum Home > ABC TV & General Discussion > Media Watch #2

Tardis001

Re: Kevin Rudd Nomination

It was probably the UK. UK Labour (mainly Gordon Brown and David Millibrand) came out in support of Rudd in the lead-up to the Turnbull snub. Admittedly, they are not in Govt, but they still have political influence. Helen Clarke has slipped badly in the race to be the UN Secretary-General in the last few weeks and its more likely that a European will get the job (Portugal is the current front-runner). The UK Government is probably thinking that it will not be able to influence a European UN Secretary-General as much as they would if they were part of the EU (it shouldn't make a difference, but in reality it probably would). Best for the UK to support an Australian who would be more sympathetic to their views in the UN

--

October 2, 2016 at 10:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Makes sense Tardy. Could also be the US as Kevin apparently lives there now as part of his job at the University of Chicago.

--

October 2, 2016 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Who needs enemies when you have friends like this:

Trump is also not getting much of an assist from his top surrogates. In an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani called Trump a "genius" for the giant tax loss and said the GOP nominee's wizardry would be better for the nation than "a woman.” For good measure, Giuliani threw in that "everybody" engages in extramarital affairs.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/03/donald-trumps-campaign-appears-to-be-slipping-into-death-spiral.html

--

October 3, 2016 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Tardis001 at October 3, 2016 at 4:51 PM

Trump is also not getting much of an assist from his top surrogates. In an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani called Trump a "genius" for the giant tax loss and said the GOP nominee's wizardry would be better for the nation than "a woman.” For good measure, Giuliani threw in that "everybody" engages in extramarital affairs.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/03/donald-trumps-campaign-appears-to-be-slipping-into-death-spiral.html

It's fascinating that this election has brought out the true nasties of the American Right. No more gentlemanly campaigning like Reagan, their prejudices and greed are right out there in front and and I don't think people like what they are seeing.

Pity Bernie Sanders isn't still there to counter this aggressive plutocratic nonsense. I think Hilary will win, but she is seen as somewhat establishment herself. The US needs a real shake-up and Bernie would have done it.

--

October 3, 2016 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Rumpole at October 3, 2016 at 5:05 PM

It's fascinating that this election has brought out the true nasties of the American Right. No more gentlemanly campaigning like Reagan, their prejudices and greed are right out there in front and and I don't think people like what they are seeing.

Pity Bernie Sanders isn't still there to counter this aggressive plutocratic nonsense. I think Hilary will win, but she is seen as somewhat establishment herself. The US needs a real shake-up and Bernie would have done it.

Several times I've said that Hillary Clinton should have selected Bernie as her running mate. 

--

October 3, 2016 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Rumpole at October 3, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Yes, I agree about the American people not liking what they see. I think it will result in record low voter turnout on election day.

It's interesting that in many democracies in the world today (Canada might be an exception), leaders or potential leaders of govt are despised by their constituents, but are voted in because the alternative is percieved to be worse.

--

October 3, 2016 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

SBS is launching a new youth-focused channel called SBS Viceland on 15 November, replacing SBS2.

The new channel will be owned and operated by SBS but will be programmed with content from the US-Canadian media company Vice. It is a free-to-air channel that will be available on television and online platforms.

Silly name for a TV channel!   

Judging by the Guardian readers' comments, this is not going down well with traditional SBS viewers.  :/

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/oct/04/sbs-viceland-youth-channel-created-in-partnership-with-vice-to-replace-sbs2 ;

--

October 4, 2016 at 2:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Photon at October 4, 2016 at 2:08 AM

SBS is launching a new youth-focused channel called SBS Viceland on 15 November, replacing SBS2.

The new channel will be owned and operated by SBS but will be programmed with content from the US-Canadian media company Vice. It is a free-to-air channel that will be available on television and online platforms.

Silly name for a TV channel!   

Judging by the Guardian readers' comments, this is not going down well with traditional SBS viewers.  :/

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/oct/04/sbs-viceland-youth-channel-created-in-partnership-with-vice-to-replace-sbs2 ;

Oh dear. 

--

October 4, 2016 at 2:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

For Malcolm Roberts and his Tinfoil Hat Brigade:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/28/the-world-passes-400ppm-carbon-dioxide-threshold-permanently

--

October 4, 2016 at 4:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Tardis001 at October 4, 2016 at 4:45 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/28/the-world-passes-400ppm-carbon-dioxide-threshold-permanently

But where is the empirical evidence ?

--

October 4, 2016 at 5:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Rumpole at October 4, 2016 at 5:04 AM

Tardis001 at October 4, 2016 at 4:45 AM

But where is the empirical evidence ?

Those marxist trouble makers at NASA faked it according Tinfoil.  :roll:

--

October 4, 2016 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Not good news for Dog lovers.

NSW Premier Mike Baird is coming under more pressure from members of the Nationals to scrap the ban on Greyhound racing.

Both State & Federal Nats' including Barnaby Joyce are playing the class warfare card against Baird.

The SMH reports that Joyce has not read Michael McHugh's damning report into greyhound racing and said he has "no intention" of doing so.   :mad:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/federal-nationals-say-greyhound-ban-is-biting-coalition-at-all-levels-20161005-grvirm.html

--

October 5, 2016 at 4:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gusset

Photon at October 5, 2016 at 4:33 AM

NSW Premier Mike Baird is coming under more pressure from members of the Nationals to scrap the ban on Greyhound racing.

Both State & Federal Nats' including Barnaby Joyce are playing the class warfare card against Baird.

The SMH reports that Joyce has not read Michael McHugh's damning report into greyhound racing and said he has "no intention" of doing so.   :mad:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/federal-nationals-say-greyhound-ban-is-biting-coalition-at-all-levels-20161005-grvirm.html

I didn't vote for Mike Baird in the last election but I will next time if he holds his nerve about this.  Judging by the calling of a special meeting on Tuesday to discuss the situation it seems the pressure on him is too great for him to withstand.

October 5, 2016 at 7:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

gusset at October 5, 2016 at 7:07 AM

Photon at October 5, 2016 at 4:33 AM

I didn't vote for Mike Baird in the last election but I will next time if he holds his nerve about this.  Judging by the calling of a special meeting on Tuesday to discuss the situation it seems the pressure on him is too great for him to withstand.

I definitely would not be voting for a return of the Baird Government, irrespective of what happens with greyhound racing.  This government is still pressing ahead with its biodiversity "conservation" bill, despite receiving 7,166 submissions against it during the public consultation period.  A summary of the key points raised in the submissions are can found at the following link:

https://www.landmanagement.nsw.gov.au/assets/Uploads/CS0045-Biodiversity-Submission-Report-Interactive.pdf

The bill will be introduced into the NSW Parliament later this month.  If the bill is passed, then it will result in a substantial increase in the amount of native vegetation to be cleared in NSW and a rapid decline in biodiversity.  It has the potential to cause some currently endangered species to become extinct in NSW, and for other species to become endangered. 

--

October 5, 2016 at 8:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

I did not vote for Baird last time and will not do so next time because of his policy to privatise public assets like the power grid.

These things belong to us, and should be used for our benefit, not for the profits of most likely foreign shareholders.

--

October 5, 2016 at 8:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

At the last NSW Election I voted for The Greens.

So don't blame me for anything nasty.  8)

--

October 5, 2016 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gusset
My apologies to all. That promise was made on the spur of the moment when I heard the racing ban was threatened, without considering the other unacceptable promises made. My promise is hereby cancelled, irrespective of what he does about the greyhound racing. There is too much at risk with his government.
October 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

gusset at October 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM

My apologies to all. That promise was made on the spur of the moment when I heard the racing ban was threatened, without considering the other unacceptable promises made. My promise is hereby cancelled, irrespective of what he does about the greyhound racing. There is too much at risk with his government.

No apology required Gussy. :)

--

October 6, 2016 at 3:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

The pressure is really on Baird.

Mike Baird's leadership tested from within party over greyhound racing ban

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-06/nsw-premier-mike-bairds-leadership-tested-over-greyhound-ban/7910300

--

October 6, 2016 at 5:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Tardis001 at October 6, 2016 at 3:33 AM

gusset at October 6, 2016 at 2:35 AM

No apology required Gussy. :)

Correct Tardy.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Mike Baird as he has tried to do the right thing over the greyhound ban and lockout laws (which have actually been successful in reducing alcohol fuelled violence in the city). I think he is obviously being pressured by vested interests in the same way as the Gillard government was attacked over proposed pokie laws which were eventually dropped.

Again we come down to donations by wealthy individuals or interests which skew the decision making process. My fear is that if Baird loses the leadership we will get someone worse. However his biodiversity and asset sales policies mean I can't vote for his party at the next election.

--

October 6, 2016 at 5:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.