Click here to edit title

abc tv and doctor who discussion site 

Forums

Forum Home > Doctor Who on the ABC > Doctor Who Thread #4

Patch
Administrator

SarahJane4Ever at May 7, 2017 at 6:57 PM

No need to fret Tardis001 -  you aren't the only member to have enjoyed it. I did as well. Not as much as last weeks but still very enjoyable. David Suchet was very very good in  the role as you would expect from an actor of his calibur.

But to the detractors,  as I keep saying, this is fundamentally a family/childrens show so the writers and directors can only go so far with storylines, effects and concepts. So it will be creepy but if you are expecting full on super realistic gothic horror - it ain't going to happen. IMHO, generally, they are doing an excellent job within the boundaries that the genere demands which is being reflected in the much higher public engagement with the show than last season at this point.

I liked the twist at the end and Bill gave another very solid performance. She is quickly cementing herself as my favourite companion since the reboot.

A very solid 3.5 out of 5 photons from me.:)

p.s on  a personal note, I am very pleased to report that my signed autographed card from the legendary 4th arrived today...it will now sit proudly alongside the one from my nom de plume.

''p.s on a personal note, I am very pleased to report that my signed autographed card from the legendary 4th arrived today...it will now sit proudly alongside the one from my nom de plume.''

You lucky thing Sarah Jane. I am dead jealous. :)

--

May 8, 2017 at 2:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

There seems to be a recurring theme besides the vault in each episode of Series 10 - creatures in the walls (Bots in Smile, Dryads in Knock Knock), bioluminescent lure fish and a large creature under the ice (Thin Ice), and an alien emerging from pools of water (The Pilot).  There must be some significance to this, but can't quite work it out at this point.  Anyone have ideas? 

--

May 8, 2017 at 5:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Tardis001 at May 8, 2017 at 5:27 AM

There seems to be a recurring theme besides the vault in each episode of Series 10 - creatures in the walls (Bots in Smile, Dryads in Knock Knock), bioluminescent lure fish and a large creature under the ice (Thin Ice), and an alien emerging from pools of water (The Pilot).  There must be some significance to this, but can't quite work it out at this point.  Anyone have ideas? 

No I can't see any recurring theme other than the Vault.   :|

--

May 8, 2017 at 5:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner
Another recurring theme of this series- writers recycling old ideas. Next week we have zombies and a countdown til we run out of oxygen. And to top it off- George Christensen on Whovians. Think I'll just go out somewhere next Sunday night
--

May 8, 2017 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

sm at May 8, 2017 at 4:59 PM

Another recurring theme of this series- writers recycling old ideas. Next week we have zombies and a countdown til we run out of oxygen. And to top it off- George Christensen on Whovians. Think I'll just go out somewhere next Sunday night

This is turning out to be the most divisive series yet among ABC Whovians.

I can understand you not wanting to watch Whovians next Sunday though, SM.  I think the show is nonsense, aimed at stroking the egos of the panel rather than it being a meaningful discussion of Doctor Who.

--

May 8, 2017 at 6:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

I’m curious to see the new slimmer George following his recent surgery.   :|

--

May 8, 2017 at 7:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner
Maybe he got the surgery done with his TV debut in mind?
--

May 8, 2017 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner

Tardis001 at May 8, 2017 at 6:43 PM

This is turning out to be the most divisive series yet among ABC Whovians.

I can understand you not wanting to watch Whovians next Sunday though, SM.  I think the show is nonsense, aimed at stroking the egos of the panel rather than it being a meaningful discussion of Doctor Who.

I think Rove and Adam are good value. Tegan and the ABC 3 guy irritate me though
--

May 8, 2017 at 10:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

sm at May 8, 2017 at 9:58 PM

I wonder if millions of Dryads came out of his body during surgery?   ;) 

--

May 8, 2017 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Tardis001 at May 8, 2017 at 10:16 PM

I assumed that George is a Slitheen.  :roll:

--

May 8, 2017 at 10:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Knock Knock has an Australian connection.  Mariah Gale who played the wooden mother is Australian-born to an Australian mother and British father, but has spent most of her life in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariah_Gale

--

May 9, 2017 at 12:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner

Photon at May 8, 2017 at 10:56 PM

Tardis001 at May 8, 2017 at 10:16 PM

I assumed that George is a Slitheen.  :roll:

That actually makes alot of sense
--

May 9, 2017 at 12:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahJane4Ever

Well, crank up the old DVD and there will always be Classic repeats to enjoy...:):)

--

May 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

More Knock Knock reviews from DWTV:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/2nd-opinion-knock-knock-84668.htm

--

May 9, 2017 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner

SarahJane4Ever at May 9, 2017 at 9:10 PM

Well, crank up the old DVD and there will always be Classic repeats to enjoy...:):)

Sorry to be a wet blanket SJ4Ever. I'm usually more positive toward the show, and have in particular loved Moffat's reign. I just prefer the timey whimey storylines more than the "haunted house, zombie alien" stories. I'm glad that so many are enjoying this series. I'll try to tone down my negativity in future. :-)
--

May 9, 2017 at 10:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

sm at May 9, 2017 at 10:53 PM

Sorry to be a wet blanket SJ4Ever. I'm usually more positive toward the show, and have in particular loved Moffat's reign. I just prefer the timey whimey storylines more than the "haunted house, zombie alien" stories. I'm glad that so many are enjoying this series. I'll try to tone down my negativity in future. :-)

No need for apologies, SM.  The Whovian community is a broad church.  What may be an extremely thrilling episode of Doctor Who for some, can be a complete downer for others.  :)

--

May 9, 2017 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SarahJane4Ever

sm at May 9, 2017 at 10:53 PM

Absolutely no need to apologise to me, SM. You  are a legend on these Boards.

The Moff has done some great work and is universally credited with lifting the bar on the show. Of course, some of his work, which I personally found to be so convoluted that I could not really understand it, has attracted criticism and likewise you are perfectly entitled to criticise some of the current writers.

It all evens out in the end and vive la difference.

But brilliant or boring, inspiring or inspid, I still love the show (as I know you do).... and I always will, irrespective of who is banging out the scripts!

Roll on Sunday night!!

--

May 10, 2017 at 12:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Okay, I’m going to stick my neck out and predict what is going to happen to Twelve with respect to his regeneration. This is pure speculation and I have no insider knowledge, so it could be (and probably is) completely wrong. We know:

1. There has been a recurring theme in Series 10, so far: creatures coming out of the walls, under the ice or from pools of water to kill people.

2. Twelve encounters the Mondasian Cybermen towards the end of the series, which were the final villains that the First Doctor encountered before his regeneration.

3. The First Doctor regenerated because he was totally exhausted after defeating the Mondasian Cybermen.

4. The First Doctor will be appearing in the Christmas special, played by David Bradley.

5. Peter Capaldi mentioned a few weeks ago on the Graham Norton Show that he was about to film the Christmas special, but that Twelve “died” in Series 10.

6. The Doctor explained the bootstrap paradox in relation to Beethoven’s music and how he might have written it. A Beethoven composition was played on the piano in the vault.

So here’s my theory. Twelve is mortally wounded by lots of Cybermats (Mondasian Cybermen robot creatures) that come out from behind the walls in large numbers. Twelve tries to regenerate, but his wounds are so bad he cannot complete his regeneration cycle and dies or almost dies. The First Doctor arrives on the scene, either because he has been fetched by Bill or he has been pursuing the Mondasian Cybermen through space and time, and finds Twelve. He revives Twelve with some of his own regeneration energy, just enough for Twelve to regenerate into Thirteen. But the First Doctor is severely weakened by this experience, enters his TARDIS and regenerates in Two – an example of a bootstrap paradox, whereby One and Twelve have influenced each other’s regenerations.  This would satisfy SM's wish for wibbly-wobbley, timey wimey Doctor Who.

--

May 10, 2017 at 8:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner
I like it. Somehow weaving Bill in as a regeneration of Susan would also be appreciated 🙂
--

May 10, 2017 at 9:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

sm at May 10, 2017 at 9:16 PM

I like it. Somehow weaving Bill in as a regeneration of Susan would also be appreciated 🙂

Perhaps the dying 12th Doctor reveals to Bill that she is the regeneration of Susan and this is why she contacts the First Doctor to save Twelve's life.  But Bill is written out of the series because she finds a girlfriend (just as Susan found a boyfriend in Classic Who).  The First Doctor abandoned Susan by leaving in his TARDIS without her, so that she could pursue her relationship with the boyfriend.  Perhaps the newly-regenerated Thirteen abandons Bill the same way so that she can pursue her relationship with her girlfriend.

--

May 10, 2017 at 9:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.