Click here to edit title

abc tv and doctor who discussion site 

Forums

Forum Home > Doctor Who on the ABC > Doctor Who Thread #4

Tardis001

Patch at November 25, 2018 at 2:51 AM

Rumpole at November 24, 2018 at 2:00 AM

Patch at November 23, 2018 at 10:22 PM

The current timeslot is certainly not helping matters. 6pm on monday? I keep forgetting about it and I bet I'm one of many.

Maybe this indicates that the ABC considers it more a kids show than family viewing now.

Yes I agree SM, 7.30pm would have been a much better time.

Unfortunately, the S11 episodes that I've seen (first 5 episodes) do target primary school children, so maybe a 6 pm timeslot really is the appropriate time.
--

November 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MaxHR

episode 8 "the witchfinders". awesome.

Classic Dr who of a long gone era.

back as far as tom baker. straightforward plot, easy to understand language.

a moral lesson for the kiddies.

back to the future to recruit a new younger audience.

geezers don't live for ever. speaking of which, still think graham is gonna die.....

and no scots.

--

November 25, 2018 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner

Tardis001 at November 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM

The current timeslot is certainly not helping matters. 6pm on monday? I keep forgetting about it and I bet I'm one of many.

Maybe this indicates that the ABC considers it more a kids show than family viewing now.

Unfortunately, the S11 episodes that I've seen (first 5 episodes) do target primary school children, so maybe a 6 pm timeslot really is the appropriate time.
Doctor Who used to be on at 6pm back in the eighties didnt it. Maybe the current series is more back to its roots. I think I agree with Max.
--

November 26, 2018 at 1:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Recky

Witchfinders had a hint of Tom baker era about it ....wasn’t bad actually , right up there with Kablam as my favourite ep thus far , but having said that , I’m still trying to figure out Chibnall theory of Whovianism 

--

I'M CONSIDERED AN IDIOT SAVANT (without the pesky savant bit):P

http://beammeupkalel.blogspot.com.au/

November 26, 2018 at 2:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner

Beautiful rendition of the Doctor Who theme over the closing credits of Demons of the Punjab: ��

You need Adobe Flash Player to view this content.

--

November 26, 2018 at 3:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon
The Witchfinders started off OK b outut had a rushed feel towards the end. The King James character wasat a bit weak in my opinion. I rate The Witchfinders at 2 out of 5 Photons.
--

November 26, 2018 at 3:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MaxHR

is it just me, or has the string on the shoestring dr who budget been tightened somewhat?

i know back in the day special effects seemed to be done in a old quarry with a smoke machine...

but production values seemed to have dropped a tad?

--

November 26, 2018 at 5:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

Photon at November 26, 2018 at 3:34 AM

The Witchfinders started off OK b outut had a rushed feel towards the end. The King James character wasat a bit weak in my opinion. I rate The Witchfinders at 2 out of 5 Photons.

Oh that's a shame. I was holding out hope for this ep as Alan Cumming is one of my favourite actors. Haven't been able to watch it yet, hopefully tomorrow.

--

November 26, 2018 at 5:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

An update of the UK ratings:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-11-2018-uk-ratings-accumulator-88397.htm

--

November 26, 2018 at 2:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Patch at November 26, 2018 at 5:49 AM

Oh that's a shame. I was holding out hope for this ep as Alan Cumming is one of my favourite actors. Haven't been able to watch it yet, hopefully tomorrow.

This series has produced some mixed results, from very good to mediocre.

Let's hope for a better performance next week.   :|

--

November 26, 2018 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

sm at November 26, 2018 at 1:11 AM

Tardis001 at November 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM

Doctor Who used to be on at 6pm back in the eighties didnt it. Maybe the current series is more back to its roots. I think I agree with Max.

Yes, that's right, it was on around 6 pm in the 1980s.  But Doctor Who grew up under RTD and Moffat and it took fans of the Classic series with it, as well as appealing to new, younger audiences.  They recognised the need to entertain Classic Whovians, as well as the New Whovians.  In other words, a real family show.  It just seems that S11 has abandoned those older viewers (the diehard Whovians), focusing on attracting a childhood audience.  The 6 pm timeslot on the ABC, and Chibs comments about bathing the kids, getting them ready for next day at school before the UK broadcast on Sunday nights, are confirmation of this.  I don't have any problem with Doctor Who taking on a young audience, that's great because it is a strategy for recruiting an audience for now and into the future.  But you don't abandon the traditional Whovian fan base, the older fans, many of whom have been there for much or all of the 55 years.  I think the decline in the ratings in the UK, North America and Australia reflect this.

--

November 26, 2018 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Recky

I’m with TARDIS on the apparent abandonment of long time fans...I just don’t get the absolute rejection of almost anything that has happened , fez delivery aside, since Eccelston took Rose on her first trip in the famous blue box

--

I'M CONSIDERED AN IDIOT SAVANT (without the pesky savant bit):P

http://beammeupkalel.blogspot.com.au/

November 27, 2018 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Photon at November 26, 2018 at 9:10 PM

I haven't given up hope yet.

I'll be watching with hope in my heart on Monday night!

--

November 28, 2018 at 9:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Photon at November 28, 2018 at 9:33 PM

I'm sure you will never watch alone Photon. :)

--

November 28, 2018 at 10:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner

Photon, you're a ray of light!
--

November 28, 2018 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

sm
Site Owner

While I think TV ratings should in no way influence a person's enjoyment of a TV show, I thought that the preceding garphic of UK TV ratings (taken from doctorwho tv website) puts things into better perspective http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-10-2017-uk-ratings-accumulator-84045.htm http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-series-11-2018-uk-ratings-accumulator-88397.htm

--

November 29, 2018 at 2:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

sm at November 28, 2018 at 10:26 PM

Thank you very much SM !  :)

--

November 29, 2018 at 8:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Photon at November 29, 2018 at 8:49 PM

sm at November 28, 2018 at 10:26 PM

Thank you very much SM !  :)

The other way of looking at it is the rate at which the ratings drop in a single series.  I think you'll find that the ratings decline between episodes of S11 (Ep 1 to Ep 8 ) has been greater than in the first 10 series of New Who.

--

November 29, 2018 at 9:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MaxHR

episode 9. set yer alarm clock, and don't wander off into the  woods.

"It takes you away" (episode 9)
On the edge of a Norwegian fjord in the present day, the Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz discover a boarded-up cottage and a girl named Hanne in need of their help. What has happened here? What monster lurks in the woods around the cottage - and beyond?

C'mon, you know you want to...resistance is futile....

--

December 2, 2018 at 5:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

The plot sounds more Whoish at least.

--

December 2, 2018 at 5:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.