Click here to edit title

abc tv and doctor who discussion site 

Forums

Forum Home > Doctor Who on the ABC > Doctor Who Thread #4

Tardis001

Rumpole at November 12, 2018 at 4:56 PM

MaxHR at November 12, 2018 at 4:49 PM

whovians are still betting on wether graham is gonna die.

even tho it's clearly aimed at regaining the kiddie audience the shock factor is there.

They have killed off Grace in the first ep, now grandmas first husband shot dead by his own brother 

clearly they are trying to use the series as a force for good, teaching youguns peace love and tolerance.

Tho we did not see much of the 'vajarians' aliens, they were very impressive in appearance.

I think you can provide a moral example without the long rambling speeches that we had in that episode.

It's a bit tiring getting lectured all the time, maybe the kids like it but I'm a bit old for that sort of thing.

I've chosen not to watch Demons in Punjab. A big part of my decision is the moralistic lecturing that has occurred in previous episodes, and I'm sad to learn that it prevails strongly in this week's episode.  So, I can truly relate to your point of view, Rumpy. The other decision I've chosen not to watch future episodes of the series is that it is totally unrecognisable as Doctor Who.  I don't know why the BBC keeps up with the pretence that it is Doctor Who when it isn't.  Well, perhaps I do, it's all in the marketing.

--

November 12, 2018 at 6:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

SM
Site Owner
HavenĀ?t seen it yet but IĀ?ve heard some excellent reviews. Looking forward to watching it.
--

November 12, 2018 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

SM at November 12, 2018 at 8:14 PM

HavenĀ?t seen it yet but IĀ?ve heard some excellent reviews. Looking forward to watching it.

G'day SM.

I'm keen hear your opinion of "Demons in Punjab"

--

November 12, 2018 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

cyberchik

(sigh) another history lesson......

--

....peering through a crack in reality.....

November 13, 2018 at 3:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

lightspeed

It was quite a moving story. 

But it wasn't Doctor Who.

November 13, 2018 at 4:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

lightspeed at November 13, 2018 at 4:06 AM

The show itself seems to have regenerated into a totally alien creature. :(

--

November 13, 2018 at 4:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MaxHR

i think it the series reminds me of the dr who of my youth, back in the dawn of time.

the doctor and his wonky tardis would 'gravitate' to troubled communities, often run by corrupt and oppresive overlords or aliens . The doctor would investigate and 'enable/encourage' the battlers to rise up and defeat thier enemies.

there were lessons about justice, equality and a fair suck of the sauce bottle.

I think an 'episode' ran for 4 or 5 nights each 30 minutes , - there was a build up, often only glimpses were seen of the monsters/aliens for the first couple of nights.

--

November 13, 2018 at 6:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Recky

Demons of Punjab was ...ok....but the missus brought up a good point after watching a few new eps and seeing nothing at all  she recognized from previous doctors, and I quote “ why is this Chibnall guy trying chase away long term fans ?” ...I couldn’t answer her

--

I'M CONSIDERED AN IDIOT SAVANT (without the pesky savant bit):P

http://beammeupkalel.blogspot.com.au/

November 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

lightspeed at November 13, 2018 at 4:06 AM

Yes, that's it exactly.

--

November 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Recky at November 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM

Demons of Punjab was ...ok....but the missus brought up a good point after watching a few new eps and seeing nothing at all  she recognized from previous doctors, and I quote “ why is this Chibnall guy trying chase away long term fans ?” ...I couldn’t answer her

Going for the US audience I think.

They are usually less critical and easier to please, plus they will fall all over Dr Who dolls, plastic Tardises and fake sonic screwdrivers.

--

November 13, 2018 at 5:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Rumpole at November 13, 2018 at 5:58 PM

Recky at November 13, 2018 at 5:34 PM

Going for the US audience I think.

They are usually less critical and easier to please, plus they will fall all over Dr Who dolls, plastic Tardises and fake sonic screwdrivers.

You may be right about the writers trying to please the US audience.

I hope the producers don't go over the top trying keep the Yanks happy.

--

November 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

KRSPDS

Demons of Punjab as it was could have been told in half the time.  The aliens were again the wimps of the universe. At least with the classic series when they did true history it was often interfered with by nasty aliens or they were mistaken for gods (in Barbara's case a goddess) or demons themselves or there was a crucial turning point in history which could have gone one way or the other.  But most of these historical stories were completely fictional or no one really knows what happened (e.g. the Mary Celeste - the Daleks arrived and everyone jumped ship).

If they are going to continue with the history lessons then they need to learn from the classic series or even the previous Doctor's of the current series and have a menacing alien involved.

One question my Dad (not a fan but often watches over my shoulder) asked if Yaz is the favourite granddaughter and she was given the watch of her grandmother's first "husband" and Yaz attended the wedding, why didn't the grandmother notice?

In all if I was rating this episode I would give it 1.5/5.

P.S. If they are trying to Americanise Doctor Who they obviously have failed to learn from history - think the 1996 TV movie (which was supposed to be the pilot of a new series) or Torchwood (Miracle Day - it ended the series). 

--

There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes. - the 4th Doctor

November 13, 2018 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

KRSPDS at November 13, 2018 at 11:52 PM

Demons of Punjab as it was could have been told in half the time.  The aliens were again the wimps of the universe. At least with the classic series when they did true history it was often interfered with by nasty aliens or they were mistaken for gods (in Barbara's case a goddess) or demons themselves or there was a crucial turning point in history which could have gone one way or the other.  But most of these historical stories were completely fictional or no one really knows what happened (e.g. the Mary Celeste - the Daleks arrived and everyone jumped ship).

If they are going to continue with the history lessons then they need to learn from the classic series or even the previous Doctor's of the current series and have a menacing alien involved.

One question my Dad (not a fan but often watches over my shoulder) asked if Yaz is the favourite granddaughter and she was given the watch of her grandmother's first "husband" and Yaz attended the wedding, why didn't the grandmother notice?

P.S. If they are trying to Americanise Doctor Who they obviously have failed to learn from history - think the 1996 TV movie (which was supposed to be the pilot of a new series) or Torchwood (Miracle Day - it ended the series). 

I didn't see the episode, but I'm guessing that Yaz travelled back in time and attended her grandmother's wedding, but the present-day elderly grandmother did not remember that happening. Maybe it is the same as a younger incarnation of a time lord not remembering meeting his/her future incarnation. Or maybe the grandmother remembers that Yaz was present at her wedding, which is why she is the favourite granddaughter but neither wanted to discuss it.
--

November 14, 2018 at 12:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Tardis001 at November 14, 2018 at 12:34 AM

KRSPDS at November 13, 2018 at 11:52 PM

I didn't see the episode, but I'm guessing that Yaz travelled back in time and attended her grandmother's wedding, but the present-day elderly grandmother did not remember that happening. Maybe it is the same as a younger incarnation of a time lord not remembering meeting his/her future incarnation. Or maybe the grandmother remembers that Yaz was present at her wedding, which is why she is the favourite granddaughter but neither wanted to discuss it.

That's a better analysis than I could have done, and I watched the episode. :)

--

November 14, 2018 at 12:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Whovians not impressed:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/your-verdict-on-the-tsuranga-conundrum-record-breaking-for-the-wrong-reasons-89334.htm

--

November 14, 2018 at 3:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Tardis001 at November 14, 2018 at 3:32 PM

Whovians not impressed:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/your-verdict-on-the-tsuranga-conundrum-record-breaking-for-the-wrong-reasons-89334.htm

Looks like the whole series is a bomb so far.

--

November 14, 2018 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Recky

SO, the Xmas special is moved to NY day and we got no Daleks, cybermen, davros, the master, Gallifrayans or Sontarans....this new era is a tad whacky ...huh ?

--

I'M CONSIDERED AN IDIOT SAVANT (without the pesky savant bit):P

http://beammeupkalel.blogspot.com.au/

November 15, 2018 at 12:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Recky at November 15, 2018 at 12:14 AM

SO, the Xmas special is moved to NY day and we got no Daleks, cybermen, davros, the master, Gallifrayans or Sontarans....this new era is a tad whacky ...huh ?

The BBC usually reserves Christmas Day for the Doctor Who special, so it would be improper for the spin-off series to be shown at that time.  Looks like New Year's Day will become the special time for airing the spin-off series, even though there is no Doctor Who Christmas special this year.  It's a pity that there has been no new Doctor Who episodes this year, I miss it.

--

November 15, 2018 at 12:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ms Faery

Patch at November 6, 2018 at 2:18 AM

Little slitheen/adipose cross creature was cute. Kids would have liked it. That's all I have to say really.

Hi Patch 👋🏻 Been a long time between drinks. Hows things? Very sad to see Dr. Who become one big yawn ☹️ Cheers, Faery x
--

When opportunity smacks you on the butt...make sure you grab it with both hands!

November 15, 2018 at 4:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Photon

Ms Faery at November 15, 2018 at 4:40 AM

Patch at November 6, 2018 at 2:18 AM

Little slitheen/adipose cross creature was cute. Kids would have liked it. That's all I have to say really.

Hi Patch 👋🏻 Been a long time between drinks. Hows things? Very sad to see Dr. Who become one big yawn ☹️ Cheers, Faery x

G'day Ms Faery, long time no see.   :)

What do you think of the new lady Doctor?

--

November 15, 2018 at 9:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.