Forums

Forum Home > ABC TV & General Discussion > What's good TV at the moment?

Audience of One

So, after six months of travel, relocating and telecom company negotiations I finally have access to the internet and TV again. Problem is, after this long, I have no idea what's actually on or what's good. Any recommendations for what is either on or is about to start?

August 15, 2012 at 11:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

Welcome back Audience. :) Well you know about Silent Witness. New Tricks has started again from the beginning on sat. at 7.30pm, you've only missed the first two I think. All the best tv seems to be on 7two and Gem right now.

--

August 15, 2012 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ms Faery

Well for me atm it's Son's of Anarchy (S3) on Channel One......so long as you're into the awesomeness of Harleys & the odd tattoo !   thumbs up

--

When opportunity smacks you on the butt...make sure you grab it with both hands!

August 16, 2012 at 6:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MaxHR

'Once upon a time' on seven, series just finished. I swear that witch has the best rack I have ever seen, fake or real...

--

August 16, 2012 at 6:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ms Faery

MaxHR at August 16, 2012 at 6:41 AM

'Once upon a time' on seven, series just finished. I swear that witch has the best rack I have ever seen, fake or real...

Max....you sexist beast!!   cool

--

When opportunity smacks you on the butt...make sure you grab it with both hands!

August 16, 2012 at 6:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Earle Qaeda

Well... I saw a promo for the next series of Rake. Otherwise nothing matters except BBT. Just saw 3 tonight on 99. There's another one at 9pm on 9. Bless 'em. I'm so over all that SWitness death gore murder crime rubbish. In the mornings ABC Breakfast is worth a watch once in a while so you can startle yourself with the fact that Karina is still holding down a job. Silk was exceptional but it's gone for now.

--

"You crawl under people's houses, you hear things."

- Alf

August 16, 2012 at 6:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rumpole

Oh have you been away ?

:)

What's on TV ? Sod all really. I only come here because no one else will talk to me. O god I'm so depressed. All the synapses down my left side ache and I think I'm starting to rust. O god...

Anyway, nuff about my problems my advice is watch Andrew Bolt on Sunday. He's a drivelling idiot and good for a few laughs. Just like Tony Abbott , but without the brains.

:lol:

--

August 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

Rumpole at August 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Oh have you been away ?

:)

What's on TV ? Sod all really. I only come here because no one else will talk to me. O god I'm so depressed. All the synapses down my left side ache and I think I'm starting to rust. O god...

Anyway, nuff about my problems my advice is watch Andrew Bolt on Sunday. He's a drivelling idiot and good for a few laughs. Just like Tony Abbott , but without the brains.

:lol:

Hahaha Rumpy, your post has made my day. :D Now, I really need to re-read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books for some reason.

--

August 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Audience of One

Thanks Rumps - you just gave me a good morning laugh. :lol: I was a bit surprised though - I thought you rusted years ago. ;)

Yes, I've watched Sons of Anarchy and OUAT - although, admittedly, not for the lead's "rack".

I guess I'll just catch up on Silent Witness and wait for the next season of Doc Who. Mostly so I can yell at it if history is any indication.

--

If nothing we do matters, then the only thing that matters is what we do

August 16, 2012 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grey

Best thing about TV at the moment is the off switch. For once I like the product of a capitalist system; it suits me to have an 'off' season and an 'on'..

--

"It is in the shelter of each other that people live" - Irish proverb

August 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Welcome back Audience of One. 

It goes without saying that a must-see series in the very near future is Series 7 of Dr Who.  The ABC has not announced a broadcast date yet, but a promo was first aired two nights ago on ABC 2 after the replay of the 2010 Christmas special.  Ep 1 of Series 7 will be aired in the UK on 1 September.  As indicated in a post I made yesterday, my guess (and it is only a guess) is that Ep 1 will be aired on ABC 1 at 7.30 pm on Sunday, 9 September.  This would coincide with the end of the current series of Grand Designs Revisited, which currently occupies that time-slot. But would be very happy to learn that Dr Who is to start at an earlier date.

--

August 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tardis001

Ms Faery at August 16, 2012 at 6:50 AM

MaxHR at August 16, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Max....you sexist beast!!   cool

Photon, looks like you have competition in attracting Faery's adoration!    happy

--

August 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paradocs

TV is abysmal at best lately.  When the biggest excitement of the night is watching Masterchef you know you either have a food fetish (probably) or the rest of the channels are broadcast from Zombieville.

Can't think of a single fave show to recommend.

I don't bother much with the ABC any more, I pick up the news in the wee small hours from ABC24 that's about all.

I like Al Jezeerah's (spelling?) coverage best for some reason.

I've been trawling eBay for el cheapo old TV series and have been watching them.  It's amazing how much better they are adless. :lol:

--

August 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Patch
Administrator

paradocs at August 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM

TV is abysmal at best lately.  When the biggest excitement of the night is watching Masterchef you know you either have a food fetish (probably) or the rest of the channels are broadcast from Zombieville.

Can't think of a single fave show to recommend.

I don't bother much with the ABC any more, I pick up the news in the wee small hours from ABC24 that's about all.

I like Al Jezeerah's (spelling?) coverage best for some reason.

I've been trawling eBay for el cheapo old TV series and have been watching them.  It's amazing how much better they are adless. :lol:

Oooh, what have you found Para?

--

August 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

paradocs

Mostly sci-fi I'm afraid.  Firefly series + Serenity movie spin off, Primeval (series 1-5) The 4400, also have had Farscape for a year and haven't started it yet. Got seasons 1-3 ( around 58 or so eps) of Castle  too for under 60 bucks but S4 isn't released yet. Dearer than the others but then it's a lot newer too. ;)

I also got a lucky dip box of 22 sci-fi movies for around $1 each on a bid I'd forgotten about, some of them I haven't seen, only 2 or 3 real duds among them. Most of them classics. :)

(No Star Wars though) :(

If you keep trawling on eBay eventually something interesting pops up cheap.  If you're looking for something specific be patient, the prices vary by an amazing degree.  e.g. Castle, the   boxed set was on there for $109!!  I bought the seasons separately from different sellers, one in UK and 2 in OZ  for under $60, in total, incl. postage.

Here's an e.g. Seasons 1 to 8 of Steptoe and Son, for $44.95 free postage. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STEPTOE-SON-COMPLETE-SERIES-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-NEW-/380357004980?pt=AU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows&hash=item588f0b4eb4

It's only got 20 mins to go but never fear, it will be relisted. ;)

--

August 17, 2012 at 5:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Earle Qaeda

Al Jezeera is indeed the premier news service these days. I also highly recommend PBS Newshour on SBS. Pre-digital it was on too early but these days with satellite I can find it throughout the evening. Definitely a domestic US production but there is stil relevant content. You have to admire their presentations - even handed, balanced, thorough with plenty of depth. What the ABC & dare I say it the BBC, oughta be. Similar excellent service available via your computer with NPR, National Public Radio.

--

"You crawl under people's houses, you hear things."

- Alf

August 17, 2012 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

austral

QI, Grand Designs (even the repeats), Media Watch, As Time Goes By (repeat x 10) 4Corners (sometimes), Q&A (sometimes) .......... never thought I'd say it but  Randling has grown on me.  However, it would be heaps better if Denton wasn't in it!

August 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gusset

paradocs at August 17, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Mostly sci-fi I'm afraid.  Firefly series + Serenity movie spin off, Primeval (series 1-5) The 4400, also have had Farscape for a year and haven't started it yet. Got seasons 1-3 ( around 58 or so eps) of Castle  too for under 60 bucks but S4 isn't released yet. Dearer than the others but then it's a lot newer too. ;)

I also got a lucky dip box of 22 sci-fi movies for around $1 each on a bid I'd forgotten about, some of them I haven't seen, only 2 or 3 real duds among them. Most of them classics. :)

(No Star Wars though) :(

If you keep trawling on eBay eventually something interesting pops up cheap.  If you're looking for something specific be patient, the prices vary by an amazing degree.  e.g. Castle, the   boxed set was on there for $109!!  I bought the seasons separately from different sellers, one in UK and 2 in OZ  for under $60, in total, incl. postage.

Here's an e.g. Seasons 1 to 8 of Steptoe and Son, for $44.95 free postage. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STEPTOE-SON-COMPLETE-SERIES-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-NEW-/380357004980?pt=AU_Movies_Movies_TV_Shows&hash=item588f0b4eb4

It's only got 20 mins to go but never fear, it will be relisted. ;)

Agree Para. I find eBay quite useful ,mainly for books but also for DVDs.  Some real oldies among them.

Another source for DVDs or tapes , even cheaper, send a written request to Doug Anderson at SMH Guide and he will post it in his column.  I am amazed at some of the stuff he gets requests for and are fulfilled by generous donors. 

August 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

paradocs

Good one Gusset.  I prefer eBay though, it allows for the indulgence of that good old  'hunting and gathering' instinct. The thrill of the chase. 8) :)

--

August 18, 2012 at 1:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

iorarua

Actually repeats of Lewis on 7 Two at present are pretty good, especially Lawrence Fox (of the Fox acting dynasty), who smashes the sidekick glass ceiling by being both bright and charismatic.

Also, the Drum can be quite good on the rare occasions they manage to not have an obnoxious IPA spokesperson or garrulous Oz journalist or Peter Reith on the panel. (Geraldine Doogue's spell as presenter last week was brilliant.)

Also, Planet America is a funny/serious weekly roundup on the world's most bizarre and dangerous country. And former Chaser, Charles Lucidello, actually manages to keep his clothes on. :)

August 18, 2012 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.