Forums

Forum Home > Doctor Who on the ABC > Why is the Doctor always a white male ?

Rumpole

For your discussion

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/scienceshow/a-new-look-at-dr-who/4649676

--

April 26, 2013 at 7:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

@abcwhovians
Site Owner

I thought this must have been another one of Tardis' trick questions, but was surprised to see it authored by Rumpole. isn't there enough Doctor Who threads in the side bar for you? :-p

--

Am I Good Man…Or Just The Valeyard?

April 26, 2013 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Einna25

I think I'd dispute the introduction to that article's description as 'curious' the fact that the Doctor's always been white and male - I think that it may have slipped their mind that the program did first air in 1963, and even today most TV shows star a white male in the lead role. But that aside, interesting link, thanks Rumpy!

May 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ducktr who?

Einna25 at May 4, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I think I'd dispute the introduction to that article's description as 'curious' the fact that the Doctor's always been white and male - I think that it may have slipped their mind that the program did first air in 1963, and even today most TV shows star a white male in the lead role. But that aside, interesting link, thanks Rumpy!

But it in recent episodes (Lets Kill Hitler and The Doctor's Wife) it has been revealed that Timelords can change sex and skin colour when they regenerate. I think even this modern society such a move would be unpopular, but it could be something the writers and producers would consider as a publicity stunt if ratings were a bit low, but  I reckon it would only last an episode and she'd regenerate back into a bloke again.

May 8, 2013 at 4:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.